Andover Bradford Claremont Concord Contoocook Croydon Danbury Elkins Georges Mills Goshen Grafton
Grantham Henniker Hopkinton Newbury New London Newport Springfield Sunapee Sutton Warner Wilmot


 About  Towns  Eat  Shop  Stay  Fun  Blog  Sunapee Stories




Elkins was originally known as Scytheville, a thriving village that was the most populated area of New London from 1835 to 1896. A scythe factory was established at the outlet of Pleasant Lake in 1835, and workers and other businesses soon followed. It closed in 1888 and became a popular vacation community for doctors, visitors and guests. The village took the name Elkins, after one of its residents, in 1896. It is still a thriving vacation community today; fishermen particularly enjoy Pleasant Lake.

Click on image for larger view.




  • Elkins Chapel is the third chapel built in New London, and the second stone church in the area. In 1915, The Elkins Society and Sarah Elkins, the widow of Dr. John P. Elkins, provided funds to construct the church. Made of stones from old farm walls, it was ready for worship in the summer of 1916.
  • Thanks to Lincoln and Anna Parks, there’s a public beach in Elkins. The Parks sold land to the town of New London in 1968 to create a beach and give villagers their own post office (which is located in a building that used to be a restaurant).
  • Elkins has its own bandstand, and it is often the site of outdoor concerts. The bandstand in Willow Park was built in 1916, destroyed by the 1938 hurricane, and rebuilt in 1985 for the town’s 150th anniversary celebration.
  • Phillips, Messer, and Colby Company was the original name of the scythe factory; it later changed to New London Scythe Company. It closed in the 1890s, but the spot is still marked by original grindstones from the factory.


READ ALL ABOUT IT
- Alpacas at Skyeview Farm

HANDY LINKS
- Town of New London
- New London Historical Society


Reproduction of material from any KearsargeDirectory.com pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.
All content © 2015 KearsargeDirectory.com
KearsargeDirectory.com, PO Box 1482, Grantham, NH 03753 | Phone: (603) 863-7048 | Email | Home